Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm almost done with this top ten list, I promise.

In honor of Missions Sunday this week, I am going to knock out my Brazil Trip top ten list if it kills me (or causes me to lose my last 12 readers).

It turns out that no amount of irresponsibility could have prepared us for the transportation in Brazil.  And hey, it's not like I didn't try.  But we embraced the danger and by the end of the trip I was actually offering up my kids to ride in trunks or cargo areas to save us a few bucks.

If that's not a sad commentary on the value of the American dollar I don't know what is.

In case you were wondering, four kids fit quite comfortably in the trunk of a station wagon.
Keep in mind that there are no traffic laws after 7:00 PM.  Rumor has it if you actually stop at the lights after dark you will get car jacked.   I felt pretty sure that if this ever happened to us the thief would quickly jump ship after realizing there were four obnoxious American children in the trunk.  

And I had to document the last time I put my chidlrens' lives at risk in the backseat of a Brazilian taxi.  
I kind of miss that heart racing, here-goes-nothin' feeling I had every time my family jumped into a car with a complete stranger that couldn't understand a word we said yet rocked out to techno versions of every Celine Dion song ever written.

Those were the days.

2 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

That is crazy! But i survived the 70's when half the cars didn't have seatbelts and my favorite place to ride was laying in the back window of the car...eek! Your kids will be talking about this for years, I bet!

Tessa said...

After you've recovered from Mission Sunday we can swap stories about riding in Brazil. It's a TRIP! Once our host dad saw some people at a cafe he needed to talk to and so he just stopped the car in the middle of the road (this was at night, btw) and left us in there as he went to talk to them. Sarah Bailey was next to me saying, "We're in the middle of the road. We're in the middle of the road." Always an adventure!!!