Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Band concerts are long, and other stuff

At Oakdale, all 5th graders have to be in band. I'll let that sink in for a minute.  

That includes 5th graders who have never so much as looked at an instrument before. It also includes 5th graders who have no interest or musical talent whatsoever. Which is why I love it. They have to stretch themselves and sometimes they have to do hard things. 

And like I tell Mia all the time, it's good for you to hate something and have to do it anyway. It gives you a tiny little glimpse into adulthood. 

Also, the teacher is a saint sent straight from the heavens. Whatever pitiful salary they pay him should be multiplied by one million. 

Notice the looks of sheer joy on their faces:
 Mia rocked it on the chimes.
 When she told me she was moved to chimes for the concert I thought it was some sort of consolation for being the worst trumpet player or something. However, if it's possible for 5th grade band to have a cool instrument, this was it. She beat those things like an African tribal dancer. I was so proud.
In other news, Andy had a birthday. 
 It was a school morning, so there was no time for posed photos. I basically gave him a look that said, "I hope you can blow those out in one breath because that's all the time I am allowing for this nonsense."
I hope my warmth and charm have inspired you.

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Oh, my. Can I quote you to my adult children??? Happy birthday to Andy!